Saturday, February 26, 2022

Influences: Robin Trower

Although sometimes I think things may be just too much obvious, I'd like to follow up on writing about some of my inspirations. And here's this humble British guy, not just for me a electric guitar super hero, but without any of the usual glamour (or as I'd rather call it: rockstar bs). The first time I came across Trower's music must have been sometime around 2005 I think when I found a Repertoire Label sampler in a cheapo bin in our local electronics store. Remember when such stores still sold lots of (interesting) CDs, well... 

That sampler had one track from Trower's "Go My Way"-album from 2000. I felt instantly remembered of Michael Landau, another "unsung" guitar hero, whose "Roodies" from The Raging Honkies-album "Boner" is among these very anthems of my troubled youth ;) No but seriously, people like this don't seem to get the praise the deserve. It's too often always Hendrix, and these comparisons though there's so much of an individual note here too, nothing against Hendrix.

I have been fortunate to see Trower play live in around 2005 in a place called Bluesgarage Hannover. It was one of those few gigs that will always remember although I don't even remember so many details. At that moment in time I was a little heart-broken, pretty drunk, and banging my head off. As a direct result of all that I bought a "midnight wine" Stratocaster which accompanied me throughout long times in Samsara Blues Experiment. And it's no coincidence that I played this guitar at Samsara's concert at Rockpalast which was the very same place where Trower played his show. What an honour back then, although the Rockpalast experience didn't make me so happy, but that's another story. Anyways, Robin Trower, what a hero! And that Michael Landau too ;) ...